May 4, 2021
We’re thrilled to welcome Roderick Jefferson on this episode of
Selling in Color. As the Vice President of Field Enablement at
Netskope with over 20 years of sales leadership, he knows how to
create bridges between organizations to empower sales to exceed
expectations. In today’s episode, we ask him one important
question: why aren’t companies hiring more black
Many companies are not hiring people of color. Why is
this the case?
- It starts at the leadership level; there often aren’t people of
color making the hiring decisions.
- The recruiting process is flawed for two main reasons. First,
recruiting is based mainly on referrals. And that's usually people
who look like you or are in your circle. Second, companies
continually recruit from the same schools year after year.
- The cost of this is not just diversity by gender, color, or
ethnicity; you lose diversity of thought.
- Unfortunately, we have many people of color who aren’t
utilizing the resources and platforms they have to support other
people of color.
To current company leaders - here’s how you can
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Stop doing what
you've always done, broaden your horizons and put on a different
set of lenses. Think about what is missing on your team, as far as
diversity of thought.
- Ask people of color inside your company how to find more
people. But don't just say, “how can I find more people like you?”
because that puts you in a box. Humbly explain that you’re looking
- From the company perspective, recruiting starts with your
website. If there is no show of diversity, equity and inclusion, it
makes people of color feel like they aren’t welcome.
- Make sure that your hiring managers are asking to see diverse
Roderick’s parting advice:
- We get excited when a company moves from 1% to 2% in
diversity - that’s the wrong response.
- To Roderick, diversity means being invited to the table. Equity
means being able to order anything he wants off the menu. Inclusion
means the people in the restaurant sit down and break bread with
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable and get away from
doing things the way you've always done it. Because the world older
generations grew up in doesn't exist anymore. It's not going to
happen by accident.
Want to get in touch with Roderick? Find him all over social on
and LinkedIn. You
can also check out his website and congratulate him