Jun 1, 2021
For some people, sales is in their DNA. Today’s guest, Jose
Quiroz, is one of those people. He is a digital operations expert
who comes from a long line of salespeople, even though he wasn’t
initially aware. But as the son of an entrepreneur, Jose quickly
learned to use his natural sales abilities to create
opportunities for himself.
Two things inspired Jose to begin selling:
- First, was Mark Cuban saying that sales is about helping
people. “You have a problem. I got a solution for you.”
- The second was Jose’s trial and error methodology. He had to
figure out how to sell, communicate, and analyze
- The biggest thing that resonated with Jose was the importance
of listening instead of talking.
A time Jose failed:
- Jose was trying to penetrate a local market, and through his
Chamber of Commerce connections, he met a local retailer who had a
name for herself.
- They had a conversation, but Jose went into it with the intent
to sell rather than to understand.
- They talked over each other, didn’t see eye to eye, and the
conversation ended with awkward tension.
- A few months later, through the work he did with people around
her, she gave him business. But he fired her as a client two years
later because of those same communication issues.
- Understand when you are in a sales call and when you aren’t.
Don’t assume one way or another until you’ve had a chance to learn
from the individual.
- Be quiet and listen to the other person beyond what they're
saying to you. Look at their mannerisms and what's in between the
lines to find information that might not be as apparent.
- A smart salesperson comes with ammunition; they understand who
the individual is, what moves them, what drives them, and their
Learning those takeaways led to Jose’s
- His team recently sold a national company on a regional part of
the business, and they were invited to do a national pitch.
- Jose knew he needed to take a deep dive and research everything
he could about the company. Understand who the key players are,
who's the decision-maker, and what influences them.
- He went into this meeting with the intent to listen and tell a
story, not just to sell.
Jose’s advice for someone of color to be successful in
- Realize that sales is everywhere around you. You're always
selling; whether trying to get a date or job, there are many
instances you sell yourself to others.
- Take advantage of business and sales development opportunities.
You’ll learn a lot about yourself and practice getting out of your
- Jose believes in reciprocity: The more you give, the more you
- If you want to go into sales, know that there will be trials
and tribulations. It will take time, and you’ll need to develop a
thick skin, but it will be well worth it.
Want to get in touch with Jose? Connect with him on LinkedIn, and check
out his company’s website!
This episode is brought to you in part by
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching
out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people
prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage
in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and
start having conversations that end in the conversions you want.
Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by NetHunt
NetHunt CRM is a sales automation tool that lives inside Gmail.
It covers a full set of features to manage leads, nurture customer
relations, monitor sales progress, and automate sales and marketing
workflows. With native-like Gmail and G Suite integration, you can
access your CRM data, launch bulk email campaigns, and set up
automated sequences from the comfort of your inbox. NetHunt helps
move leads down your sales funnel and never lets a valuable
prospect go untouched.
NetHunt CRM offers TSE listeners a 40% discount for the
first three months along with free user training and a dedicated
Customer Success Manager with any pricing plan.
Try NetHunt CRM today at https://nethunt.com/tse.
This course is brought to you in part by the
TSE Sales Certified Training Program, a course designed to help
new and struggling sellers to master the fundamentals of sales and
close more deals. Help elevate your sales game and sign up now to
first two modules free! You can visit www.thesalesevangelist.com/closemoredeals
or call (561) 570-5077 for more information. We value your opinion
and always want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our
two-minute survey here: thesalesevangelist.com/survey.
We’d love for you to join us for our next episodes, tune in on
Spotify. You can also leave comments, suggestions, and ratings
for each episode you listen to!
Read more about sales or listen to audiobooks on Audible
and explore their huge online library. Register now to get a free
book and a 30-day trial.