May 25, 2021
Today’s episode of Selling in Color features the founder and
Chief Investment Officer of Stone Hill Wealth Management, Phillip
Washington Jr. From his first job at Best Buy to door-to-door
sales, Phillip learned that his hard working mentality and refusal
to give up were traits that helped him overcome obstacles
in the sales industry.
Phillip’s sales origin story.
- His dad did Amway growing up, so sales did not have the dubious
reputation found in other households.
- Phillip’s first job was at Best Buy, but he didn’t like the
idea of being paid the same amount no matter what he did, so he
began selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door.
- Phillip was later offered an internship with Northwestern
Mutual, selling insurance on commission. He was nervous about
accepting because it did not come with a salary, and he was worried
about making ends meet after selling his previous business.
- Despite his nervousness, he accidentally scored number two
intern in their United States South sector and converted to
full-time after graduating. He worked there for eight
Philip’s biggest sales challenges and how he overcame
- Sales is mentally tough, no matter what color you are. But
Phillip overcame those mental obstacles by working hard to meet his
- Another challenge he had was overcoming ignorance. He wondered
why other people made so much more money than him in his early
career, even though he worked harder than anyone.
- In reality, some people just have more resources, and Phillip
learned to keep his head down and work for what he wants.
- You don't understand the muscles you're building when it's
harder for you. And that’s a blessing.
What gave Phillip his success?
- Phillip claims he’s not the smartest, but he won’t give up and
will outwork anybody to achieve success if he locks onto
- He takes the required risks to put supply and demand on his
- If a white guy and a black guy are selling the same thing and
they’re perceived as equal, they're probably going to buy from the
white guy. But, if you clearly provide more value than the
competition, you’ll get the sale.
Phillip’s final sales tip:
- Have somebody to talk to and help process your thoughts and
- Phillip wouldn’t have achieved success without his coaches and
community supporting him.
Want to get in contact with Phillip? Find all his contact
information on Stone Hill Wealth Management’s website.
If you want to get in touch with Joseph, find him on LinkedIn.
You can find host Donald Kelly on LinkedIn,
about any sales concerns.
This episode is brought to you in part by
Are you sick of crickets? As a salesperson, the pain of reaching
out with phone calls or emails and not receiving a response is
But all text messaging is not created equal. 85% of people
prefer text over email and phone calls because they want to engage
in a conversation, not listen to bots. Be more like people and
start having conversations that end in the conversions you want.
Try Skipio at www.Skipio.com.
This episode is brought to you in part by NetHunt
NetHunt CRM is a sales automation tool that lives inside Gmail.
It covers a full set of features to manage leads, nurture customer
relations, monitor sales progress, and automate sales and marketing
workflows. With native-like Gmail and G Suite integration,
you can access your CRM data, launch bulk email campaigns, and set
up automated sequences from the comfort of your inbox. NetHunt
helps move leads down your sales funnel and never lets a valuable
prospect go untouched.
NetHunt CRM offers TSE listeners a 40% discount for the
first three months along with free user training and a dedicated
Customer Success Manager with any pricing plan.
Try NetHunt CRM today at https://nethunt.com/tse.