Aug 10, 2021
In today’s episode of Selling in Color, Donald looks at another
one of the best sellers in history: Harriet
Tubman. Harriet was born as a slave, but she escaped and
rescued more than 300 slaves throughout her life. In this episode,
Donald discusses why Harriet was so successful in convincing people
to leave the life of slavery, even if being apprehended meant
- Harriet Tubman was born as Emerita Ross in March 1822 in
Dorchester County, Maryland.
- Harriet was deeply religious, and that faith carried her
through the many ordeals she had to endure as a slave.
- When she escaped to Philadelphia in 1894, she immediately
returned to Maryland to rescue her family. She brought slaves out,
one group at a time, into a life of freedom.
- She received the nickname “Moses” from other slaves because she
brought people out of slavery and into the promised
Harriet’s drive to help others:
- When the Fugitive Act was passed in 1850, Harriet was
undeterred. Instead of leading escaped slaves to Philadelphia, she
went further north and brought them to Canada.
- During the Civil War, Harriet became an armed scout and was the
first woman to lead an armed expedition in the war.
- After her impressive feats in the Civil War, she continued to
fight for rights, directing her attention to women’s
- Harriet Tubman’s persuasiveness made an impact on history, and
it was these five traits that made Harriet Tubman a force to be
- Cause and bravery
- Passion and a strong drive
How to apply Harriet’s mentality to your own sales
- As a salesperson, you need to protect your mind and surround
yourself with people who elevate you. Harriet could have stayed
with people who shut down her vision, but instead, she moved toward
people who encouraged her.
- Her husband opposed the idea of freedom, and others told her it
was dangerous. But Harriet didn’t listen because she was confident
in her beliefs. Like Harriet, make sure you have a vision of what
you want to accomplish.
- As a B2B sales rep, you need to be brave. You have to be
willing to do scary things, like speaking with high-level
executives from large organizations. While it won’t always turn
into an opportunity, it’s a key differentiator between average and
- B2B sales reps need a burning desire to care for and help
others. Be the sales rep who sees things from the buyers’
perspective and puts their interests above your own.
- Salespeople need to have the willingness to go above and beyond
to be successful in what they do. You may have to do things outside
the norm and make sacrifices.
- Harriet Tubman was creative. She utilized various disguises
every time she made a trip, even dressing as a man when needed. She
thought outside the box. Creative thinking will set you apart in
sales as well.
This episode is brought to you in part by
Are you sick of crickets? The pain of sales reps continually
reaching out with phone calls and emails and not receiving a
response is real.
85% of people prefer text over email and phone calls because
they want to engage in a conversation. All text messaging is not
equal. Customers respond to people, NOT BOTS. Be more like people
and start having conversations that end in conversions. Try Skipio
This course is brought to you in part by
TSE Certified Sales Training Program. It’s a course designed to
help new and struggling sellers to master the fundamentals of sales
and close more deals. It will help them elevate their sales game.
Sign up now and get the
first two modules free! You can go and visit www.thesalesevangelist.com/closemoredeals
also call us at (561) 570-5077. "We value your opinion and always
want to improve the quality of our show. Complete our 2 mins survey